- Name: Princess Sunset Shimmer, the Princess of Harmony
- Race: Alicorn; Hybrid Phoenix-Pony
- Cutie Mark: Same as the original franchise.
- Age: 20
- Occupations: The Princess of Harmony, member of the Royal Family, detective, survivalist, Princess Nebula's main apprentice, owner of Golden Oak Library, Canterlot Mall Eastern restaurant worker, headmistress of the School of Friendship, rhythm guitarist of the Sonic Booms, co-leader of the Mane Group
- Likes: Ruling Equestria, teaching her students, reading, stories, books, music, studying, helping, survival skills, solving problems, redeeming mean people and villains, hanging out with her friends, organizing things, teaching magic, Garble (love interest), and spreading harmony across Equestria
- Dislikes: Losing, failure, when her friends are in danger
- Traits: Half girly and half tomboyish, empathic, bright, cheerful, sunny, mature, smart, responsible, bookworm, pleasant, sincere, honest, friendly, compassionate, caring, selfless, forgiving, confident, sassy, sarcastic, rebellious, arrogant, strong-willed, short-tempered, icy-tempered, over-cautious, good-hearted, clever, determined, redemptive, neutral, courageous, careful, understanding, level-headed, kind, thoughtful, generous, sympathetic, healer, down-to-earth, good leader, protective, motherly, brave, bold, tough, wise, helpful, heroic, loyal
- Pet: Ray (pet leopard gecko)
- Family: King Sunspot (phoenix father) and Queen Stellar Flare (alicorn mother); Prince Sunburst (older brother); Princess Crystal (cousin-in-law); Sunbeam Glare (older cousin); Luster Dawn (younger niece); Solar Glow (adoptive sister); Twilight Sparkle (childhood sister)
- Friends/Allies: Mane Group, Cutie Mark Crusaders, Harmony Crusaders, Moondancer, Sunburst, the Equal Crew, the Student Pack, Royal Sisters, the Reformed Villains, Midnight Shade and Starlight Glimmer
- Enemies: The Mean Group, Storm King, the Three Wicked Mares, and Grogar
The DreamWorks reboot version of Sunset is much different from her original counterpart. She is not a villain in this reboot. Her personality is a mix of her bad and good sides. Sunset is very mature, smart and responsible, and has a very pleasant, sincere and honest personality. She stands out as a good leader and a good friend.
She can be a bit like her original villain self, only not evil at all. She would only be a bit villainous to people who mess with her or any of her friends and family. She is very empathic to everyone, including villains who are reformed. Along with Twilight, Sugarcoat, Indigo, Sunny, Sour, Spike and Megan, she is one of the most level-headed members of the Mane Group.
She also has the ability to solve puzzles, solutions and mysteries, as well as investigations if anything is disappeared, thus making her an intelligent detective. Whenever she goes out somewhere, she would always bring a few supplies with her in her brown bag because she, as a survivalist, likes to be prepared.
Sunset knows how to make any day an all good day. Her striking sense of fashion steals a lot of attention! She loves riding around on her scooter when she's spending time with her friends, and in faraway adventures of course. A loyal friend with a good heart, Sunset is always looking out for what’s best for her friends. She likes to do things her own way.
Clever and determined, she's grateful with her friends. Sometimes she gets stressed in times of pressure, but she always find the correct way. Sunset is one of the smartest creatures beyond Equestria, whatever kind of problem you have, she'll solve it. Whether it's a simple math or mysterious problem, or if the forces of evil are trying to take over the world, she's got a solution to everything!
As the "empathic" and "bright" one in the group, she has a huge sunny disposition. She knows how to help people with their problems. Twilight and Spike may be the smart ones, but Sunset can understand people more than they do.
Being the only daughter of King Sunspot and Queen Stellar Flare, and the younger sister of Sunburst, she holds a lot of sympathy and empathy for everycreature, including mean creatures and villains. Although sometimes, she has an inner voice that switches between good and evil, so she can come out a bit harsh.
- Twilight Sparkle: Twilight is Sunset's closest friend and childhood sister. Sunset is her legal guardian. The two are like an inseparable duo. Whenever Twilight has
- Princess Nebula: Nebula is Sunset's main mentor.
- Garble: Garble is Sunset's dragon assistant and love interest. He represents the Element of Heart.
- Princess Aurora:
- Princess Crystal:
- Indigo Zap:
- Sunny Flare:
- Sour Sweet:
- Lemon Zest: